There are several ways to set up a new trip, but the quickest and easiest way is to start from the map screen in CoPilot.
Tap on the main menu and then tap Plan a Trip.
Tap on Add a Stop.
On the next screen, there are several ways you can find and/or add a stop.
- Use the search bar at the top of the screen to type and find a specific address.
- Tap on one of the Icons in the second row to find a restaurant, gas station, parking, or other Point of Interest (...).
- Tap on one of the recently visited locations listed.
- Tap on Contacts to find the address of a contact listed in your directory.
Once you've located a place or address you want to add, tap on the large blue + at the bottom of the screen to add it.
- To add another location, simply tap again on Add a Stop.
- To view the trip on the map from the starting point, tap on the green arrow at the bottom of the screen.
- To see turn by turn directions for the trip, tap on the arrow at the bottom of the screen.
- To return back to the PLAN screen, tap the upside down arrow at the top of the screen.
Tap on the menu bars in the the top left corner of the screen, then tap on Trip to move to the MAP overview of your trip.
- If you see a hazard warning, tap on it to view the incident report.
My Trip allows you to add stops directly from the MAP or PLAN views.
- What is the difference between MAP and PLAN view?
- What is the difference between a waypoint and a stop?
- How do I set multiple stops or Waypoints using PLAN view?
- How do I set multiple stops or waypoints using MAP view?
- How do I optimize my route?
- How do I save/load a trip?
- How do I set up CoPilot to avoid crossing waterways via ferry on my route?
- How do I plan a trip on my computer or device and transfer to another device?
What is the difference between MAP and PLAN view?
- MAP view provides a map display of your current route, and displays any alternative routes available in addition to your mileage and ETA.
- PLAN view lists your origin, destination, waypoints and stops, and driving directions all in one location.
What is the difference between a waypoint and a stop?
Waypoints (Route Through Here) are locations meant to guide CoPilot in selecting a route along desired roads.
Stops are the actual destination(s) along that route.
- Stops require you to fully pass through the stop before that portion of the trip is cleared.
- Waypoints are considered as reached when you are in a radius of 0.2 miles (or 0.32 km) and are cleared from the trip.
Additionally, ETA, ETT and Distance displayed in the navigation view are calculated according to the stops and won't appear for each Waypoint.
To set a stop as a waypoint, tap on the stop in the PLAN screen, then tap on Set as Waypoint.
How do I set multiple stops or Waypoints using PLAN view?
- Select Add Stop to add a location to your trip.
- After choosing your stop, CoPilot will add it to the list of locations. You can change your location from a Waypoint to a stop (or vice versa) by tapping the stop and then selecting the Waypoint or stop icon.
- Click Add Stop again for each additional stop on your route.
How do I set multiple stops or waypoints using MAP view?
- Zoom in on the map and tap the location you want to add as a stop.
- Tap the arrow that appears in the info box about that location.
- Tap the blue plus + to add the location as a stop or Route Through Here to add it as a Waypoint.
- Repeat for as many stops or Waypoints as you'd like to add to the trip.
How do I optimize my route?
The Optimize Stops changes the order of the Waypoints, stops, and even your final destination (if selected) for the trip to match your vehicle preferences and provide the most efficient route possible.
- To optimize a trip, select the three dots at the top of the screen and then tap Optimize Stops.
How do I save/load a trip?
Trips can be saved and loaded from either the MAP or PLAN view.
- Select the three dots at the top of the screen and then tap Save Trip.
- Enter a name for the trip and then tap Save.
Once a trip has been saved, it can be recalled by following the initial steps taken to plan a trip.
- Tap on the main menu and then tap Plan a Trip.
- Tap on the three dots at the top of the screen and tap on Load Trip.
- Locate your saved trip name and tap to open it.
TIP: Want to plan for the unexpected while on your journey? Use Trip Preview to see a live video of your route including turn by turn instructions and voice guidance. Trip Preview can be found via
How do I set up CoPilot to avoid crossing waterways via ferry on my route?
In order to force CoPilot to avoid routing you across a waterway, you can select Avoid Ferries when setting your Vehicle Routing Profile.
How do I plan a trip on my computer or device and transfer to another device?
Planning to take a long journey or performing a bunch of stops on your route? Pre-plan your trip using CoPilot or another planning software and then easily import the trip into CoPilot by following either of the steps below.
Creating a Route in CoPilot and transferring to another device
- Connect the device (with the planned trip) to a PC.
- Navigate to the phone's internal storage via Windows Explorer.
- Find the com.alk.copilot folder.
- Locate the region save folder in com.alk.copilot. For example, NA, EU, SA, etc.
- Find your trip file it will be named with the name you've assigned in the Save Trip menu
- Copy the file to your desktop.
- Connect the device used for routing and paste the .TRP file into the com.alk.copilot folder as done previously.
Creating a Route in Google Maps or another routing software and transferring to the device
- Create your route on Google Maps (several video guides could be found in the web).
- Export route in .kml format.
- Download and install a program to convert the file format .kml to .trp, which is compatible with CoPilot. (You can find software online to do this such as ITN Converter or RouteConverter.)
- Connect your Android device to your computer.
- Copy the .trp files to the relevant folder com.alk.copilot.*
- Start CoPilot and go to and then select Load Trip.
- Follow or change the route.
Trip files are unable to be imported into iOS devices either from CoPilot or another routing software. We are working on removing this limitation from CoPilot. However, you can build a custom POI set for your trip which can then be transferred onto your iOS device. Please refer to (Everything about POIs) for information on importing custom POIs.
*According to the app you have to go to the relevant SAVE folder:
Please select the folder starting with com.alk.copilot, and then select:
- NA/save (if you have North America maps),
- EU/save (if you have European maps),
- SA/save (for South America),
- OC/save (for Australia),
- ME/save (for Middle East),
- AS/save or SEA/save (for Asian maps),
- AF/save (for maps of Africa).